Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Nostalgia

Those of you who have been reading me for any period of time, know that I am a girly girl. I love make-up, nail polish, hair doo-dads, shoes, clothes, jewelry. And you also know that my proclivity towards hyper feminism, is due to the fact that my mother was a hairdresser during my formative years.

She tells of how, even as a young child, I would sit quite happily and let her put my hair in rollers or pin curls.

Recently, she posted this photo on Facebook.




See? I told you! It's not my fault I'm such a girl.

My sister is the one under the dryer. I'm the one leaning on my mothers knee as she reads us a story. The pants my Mom is wearing? We had outifts to match, that consisted of a shirt and vest, with orange tops underneath, just like Mom's. She sewed them herself, along with many other such seventies type atrocities. But then...they were cute and stylish and people often stopped to comment on three little girls dressed in matching outfits.







Did I have an awesome Mom or what?

I didn't really appreciate her (especially during my teenaged years) until I became a Mom myself. How she did all that she did is completely beyond me. She worked, kept the house and cooked, sewed us clothes, did crafts and made a staggering amount of holiday goodies every single year.

She was the Enjoli woman.




Because of her, our childhood was idyllic in many ways. Because of her, I am a good Mom too. Different, but the same in all the ways that count. I know it's not Mother's Day or anything, but if you still have a Mom, let her know much you love her and how thankful you are to have had such a strong, positive female role model in your life.

Thanks Mom.

8 Comments:

  • At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Wander said…

    A wonderful tribute from a not only loving but appreciate daughter...and you are absolutely right, life is very fleeting and everything can change in a blink of an eye and it will mean that much more to Mom if you tell her on a day that isn't all about that kind of stuff.

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    she sounds lovely

     
  • At 1:55 AM, Blogger merinz said…

    Lovely post. I like the first photo especially with the '70's furniture and clothing!

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger K2 said…

    Amen. And I love (and remember) similar outfits (AND the bell dryer!) from my and my sister's childhood...

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What fanstastic pictures!

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What fantastic pictures!

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    What a nice tribute to your mother. It is fun to get a glimpse into your childhood. It's so true that we normally do not appreciate everything that our mom's did for us until we have children of our own.

     
  • At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Apryl's Antics said…

    Beautiful tribute. Although my mother was not a hairdresser, she did my hair like that, too. Being a "straight hair", I always wanted curls. And those pants? LOVE them.

    I still sing that Enjoli song---to my husband. It's just how I remembered it. :) Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home