Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Angels Among Us

Today, a black woman came in to the Weight Watchers store with a portly little white woman in tow. The black woman was well dressed, well groomed and well spoken. She had warm eyes and beautiful, dazzling white teeth. The white woman was unkempt and dishevelled. She had lank, greasy hair and wore stained clothing. She didn't smell bad exactly, but not terribly fresh either. She had few teeth. But she had a sweet disposition and a shy, sunny smile.

They were a curious pair.

It turned out that the black woman was the white woman's "life skills facilitator". She was a state employee; her job, helping disadvantaged people learn how to care for themselves. The white lady, her client, having been diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure, needed to learn how to eat more healthfully. They were joining together. The facilitator said, "We're so much alike. That's why God put us together." It struck me as an odd thing to say...then.

They both asked me many questions; the facilitator about program details, how to use the various acoutrements, and how much exercise is recommended for a beginner. The client wanted to know if she could still drink Co-Cola and whether macaroni and cheese is healthy. I answered their questions as thoroughly as I could and they both listened very carefully. The facilitator took her charge's hand and squeezed it. She said, "We're going to do this thing, aren't we baby girl?" And the other woman, hardly a girl, but heartbreakingly infantile nonetheless, nodded emphatically, her eyes glowing with love and admiration.

I spoke with them for a long time, and by the time they left, it was clear that they were indeed alike; both with huge hearts, both with the utmost faith in the other, both optimistic and resolved. Neither saw color, race, class or physical attributes when they looked at one another. I am often moved by my members but this pair...they moved me nearly to tears.

The sweetly simple white lady likely had no idea of the turmoil currently taking place around her in this country and the more pragmatic black lady likely didn't care. All they cared about was being together, helping one another, and "doing this thing".

I needed to smile today and thanks to them, hours later when I think of those linked hands, black against white, one maincured, one grubby and gnawed...I am smiling still.  

I told this story on Facebook and my wonderful friends complimented ME. But people...I am just a witness. And humanity sometimes gives me some amazing stories to tell. They're out there, those stories. And angels do walk among us. We just have to recognize them.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger merinz said…

    Lovely to see you back again! I enjoy your comments and observations on human nature.

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger Boliath said…

    Thank you for making me smile xx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home