Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Monday, August 28, 2006

An Interesting Perspective

I think most of you know by now that I am an Agnostic with strong Atheistic tendencies. I’m not quite ready to say that there is no God, because frankly, I like to believe that there is. I think that’s just human nature. However, my inability to accept a doctrine that contradicts empirical scientific data keeps me from forming any really cohesive religious ideology. Of course, it’s merely one factor in a myriad of issues that are to blame for my lack of faith, but it’s one of the more expansive and troublesome.

Last week I wrote a post about my struggle to explain these issues to my boys in a non-biased fashion. One of my fellow bloggers had this to say:


"I realize this is a difficult issue for your family, and I don't want to butt in when you haven't asked for suggestions. Let me just say that there are people - like me - who both believe in God and accept the reality of biological evolution, without experiencing any conflict."

Now, you may think that due to stance of religious matters, I would discount the views of Christians, but the contrary is true. I find the views of Christians extremely insightful, interesting, and valuable. This is especially true of Christians who are deeply convicted but do not subscribe to the practice of blind acceptance and do not need to because of their ability to reconcile two such profoundly conflicting and subjective concepts.

So I asked her if she would be willing to explain her point of view.

Today she posted this. It a very thoughtful, insightful, intelligent and incredibly well-reasoned response that is well worth reading. Thank you Veronica for taking the time to address my questions and my doubts so thoroughly and sensitively. I truly appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me and others understand your perspective on this very complex issue.

I'd like to hear from all of you, irrespective of your religious affiliation or lack thereof. If you have any thoughts on this subject, write a post about it, then email me with the URL. I will list the links here in this post.

I know this is a toughie. I struggle to put my own thoughts and feelings into words. But I hope at least a few of you will take me up on my proposition.

"Christian Who Believes in Evolution" by Veronica
"Unapologetic" by Bub and Pie
"Science and The Bible" by Rachelle
"White Baby Girl Jesus" By Paula
"On A Roll" by Natalie

6 Comments:

  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Thanks for pointing out that link. It was a very insightful and interesting perspective. I was glad to have read it.

    I don't know I can post about it myself because, to be perfectly honest, I don't think I can.

    Like you, I don't see myself as a person of faith and so I cannot credibly provide a balanced arguement on the issue. But I am glad you raised it. Facinating.

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Bea said…

    Okay, so I've tried to rise to the challenge. It's hard - very hard - to write about something as personal as one's faith to a diverse audience. Actually, it's hard to do it at all, to any audience - it's not just fear of how readers will react, but also the sheer difficulty of articulating what and how one believes without falling immediately into cliche or really horrible metaphors (and saying "one" a lot - argh).

    Anyhow, I didn't present any arguments, but tried to give some kind of brief snapshot of how faith and evolution are intermingled in my view of the world. Bleh. I need more practice at this. Thanks for challenging me!

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger Namito said…

    This is a topic that is endlessly fascinating to me. And, as B&P accurately pointed out, incredibly difficult to write about.

    The Impling is 19 months, so I have some time before the questions come, but anserwing them is something I'm constantly thinking about in one way or another.

    I posted about my agnosticism not to long ago...
    http://rockingthecradle.blogspot.com/2006/07/white-baby-girl-jesus.html

    but I think I feel a second post coming on.

    A good challenge, and great links.
    Thanks

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger MrsFortune said…

    Wow, um, that sounds like it would require thought... big words ... more than 45 consecutive seconds to write. I would like to but the chances of my having that 45 seconds are slim at this point. But I do agree with you, I love listening to the perspective of Christians of that ilk. But I find they are few and far between.

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Foofa said…

    I emaled you my post. I actually didn't think it was a really difficult topic. Maybe that is becuase I don't have kids. Luckily my boyfriend thinks I am the religious on of he two of us so I think we'll be ok. Maybe it is because I believe what I beleive and don't have a problem telling people about it, who knows.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Sharon L. Holland said…

Post a Comment

<< Home