Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Anthem

(or, Friday Stuff and Nonsense)

I love Mika.

But I like showtunes and big band music, so bear that in mind.

A while back I ran accross the video for "Lollipop" on somebody's blog, I can't remember whose. I've been batshit crazy about Mika ever since. Though he's amazingly talented, it's not just the voice and the music. I've always had this weird, inexplicable attraction to men with ethereal, almost....transcendant beauty. And apparently, androgyny gets me really hot and bothered as well.

I could snap the man in half like a swizzle stick, I'm probably old enough to be his mother, and I'm pretty sure he prefers les hommes. Seriously, do you know any straight guys who would wear this?



But I can't help it. I want to lick his Lollipop.

((Oh no she Di-int!! ))

Hey, you know what? Coyness becomes a little ridiculous when you get to be my age.

Anyway, it's not that I'm not ever attracted to the type of guy who would club you over the head and drag you by your hair back to his cave. I had a fairly longstanding lush (that's lust + crush) on Vin Diesel, whom, I'm fairly certain, is an evolutionary throwback of some kind. I'm still trying to live that down.

But when I heard this song, I knew Mika and I were soulmates.



It's silly and bubble gummy, but I like the message. And hey, every artist has their "Fat Bottomed Girls", right?

I'm not as big as any of the gals in his video, but I have been. And though I'm slowly regaining the body I used to have, I will never, ever be small. I'm just not made that way. So any time big girls are recognized as beautiful, it speaks to me on a very personal level.

And yes, I was that girl in high school that was forever falling in love with the gay guys. I eventually realized that they are wholly immune to feminine charms and are not often disposed to changing their minds. BUT...they make the absolute BEST friends. SIGH. I miss having gay guys to hang out with.

Maybe that's why I've become so enamored of Mika

At any rate, "Life in Cartoon Motion" is an excellent album (uhhh, do we still call them that?) and I highly recommend it. It's not deep, or obscure, or broodingly artistic. But the arrangements are amazing, the lyrics are catchy and his voice is sweet and....happy. It makes me happy to listen to it.

Here's one more video to sway you.



Remember. I like show tunes. You were warned.

17 Comments:

  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger thailandchani said…

    Wow.. very interesting! I'd never heard Mika before. I like the idea as well that he has something positive to say about larger women. What a relief!


    Peace,

    ~Chani
    http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger flutter said…

    So I am pretty sure that you and I were separated at birth...

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG!

    I had never heard of him either. Kind of reminds me of when I fell madly for Rufus Wainwright a couple of years back.

    Thanks,
    Mary Istvan

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said…

    OMG — I posted about him awhile back, raving about how he's the kind of guy I would have fallen for in college.

    OK, yeah, and maybe 15 years later ... ahem...

    He's on my Ipod.

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Carol said…

    Ooooh, maybe you saw Mika on MY blog! I LOVE the guy too (and posted one of his videos a few weeks ago)!

    Yesterday I listened to Mika and only Mika for my hour-long walk. SWON!

    Carol

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    I bought that album a while back. I'm still trying to connect with it. But then again I haven't gone for the fey boys since I was in high school and dug Duran Duran and hair metal bands who wore too much makeup.

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    Oh, but I am quite smitten with "Grace Kelly". Love that freaking song.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    FEY!!!! That's the word I've been groping for. Thank you Chicky. I hate it when a word is riiiiiiiight there, but won't come to me.

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger painted maypole said…

    gay men do make great friends. I miss that around here, too.

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Tania said…

    I was the girl who went for the latent gay guys in high school. I think I can even take credit for helping a couple of them realize that they never wanted to be with a girl in the first place. I'm that good!

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger nina michelle said…

    You wanna lick his WHAT??? *the lesbian exits stage left*

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Noooooo! No more Mika!!!! My son is obsessed with him. If I have to hear 'Grace Kelly' or freaking 'Love Today' at 3 in the morning on more time I will truly rip my own eyelashes out.

    Glad he floats your boat.

     
  • At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yup. He had me at Grace Kelly... My sister and I turn it up until the windows nearly shatter and dance around insanely while my one year old giggles his head off.

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger S said…

    I never went for the fey guys myself, not even Duran Duran.

    But hey -- I support whatever floats your boat, baby!

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger ..M.. said…

    I love Mika! That Grace Kelly song totally rocks my socks off. And I love that he has normal people in his videos - not skimpy skinny little things in some choreographed sex-machine dance.

    I sooo need to buy that album...

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger Christine at Watch Me No Watch Me said…

    I miss hanging out with gay guys, too (I follow a couple gay guy blogs just to get my, er, fill). Never heard of Mika, though.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    He reminds me of Freddie Mercury of Queen (also Fey)- is what he is referring to in the song?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home