Blogs Are Stupid

Doesn't anyone believe in Dear Diary anymore? What happened to the joy of putting actual pen to paper? And why does every ordinary Jane and John think they can write well enough to burden the world with their scribblings? It’s a mystery that badly needs solving. My first entry contains my thoughts about blogging and will set your expectations. The rest will probably be stream of consciousness garbage, much like you’ll find on any other blog. Perhaps we will both come away enlightened.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

A Little Help From My Friends

So, after a couple of weeks of making fabulously inventive and believable excuses to myself, I will start walking again Monday. I actually started last week, and was very motivated. But then I got terribly sick and was unable to walk due to chest congestion that left me feeling like a candidate for the iron lung. But I'm healthy now, and ready to strike out again.

I got an iPod for Mother's Day this year, and I was so excited to take it on my walk. WOW. What a difference music makes. It kept me energized, helped me maintain a brisk pace, and really made it seem like I was done in no time.

The problem is, I am in a musical rut. Mrs. Chicky once said that when you become a parent your musical taste is arrested. This is certainly true. But I also think it actually reverts as well. Most of the stuff in my library is from 1980 back. Mine is predominantly 80's and Husband's is mostly 70's. I am not ashamed to admit that I love Neil Diamond, The Carpenters, Helen Reddy, Linda Ronstadt and Barry Manilow. In fact, I need to add "Copacabana" to my Walking Playlist. I've loved that song since I was 9 years old. It, like "Turn on Your Heartlight", never gets old. And what self-respecting woman can't get behind "I Am Woman Hear Me Roar"?

We even have quite a bit of music that is even older than that. I actually downloaded Johnny Cash greatest hits after watching "Walk the Line". And the other day, husband downloaded "Dino: The Essential Dean Martin" after watching a sitcom that featured the song "Ain't that a Kick in the Head". We like it. A lot. Sure the guy was a drunken womanizing lech, but dayum that man could sang. I am also realizing that I really dig big band and swing music and I'm currently shopping for a good compilation to download.

I love all things vintage, so it's no surprise that this holds true for musical tastes as well. And I'm not implying that there is anything wrong with that. But I need some really jammin stuff to walk to and "Volare" isn't terribly invigorating. I want some new and fresh music that I haven't listened to a bzillion times. I do have some new-ish stuff in my Library that my Pre-Pubescent one introduced me to. Fallout Boy, All American Rejects, Hoobastank and Maroon 5. Of my own accord I added some Shakira, KT Tunstall and Outkast. (Why don't they do more songs like "Hey Ya" instead of that rap garbage???).

But there are so many new artists that I am unfamiliar with and I don't have the time to "browse" for music really. So I turn to all you hip young chicks who haven't yet fallen prey to musical stagnation syndrome. Give me some suggestions for music that really gets your blood pumpin, your ass shakin, and your toes tappin.

I like just about everything, with the notable exception of Rap. I am constantly amazed that this genre continues to gain popularity. I mean, Will Smith was pretty entertaining and I actually liked Vanilla Ice, but I can't get behind the violent mysoginistic rantings of the modern rap culture. There is no artistry there.

So, gimme your recommedations. If you have a workout mix, please share it. I would love to see what everyone else is sweating to. In the spirit of reciprocity, I'll share mine. But don't laugh at all the old fogie tunes. I can't help it. I came of age in the 80's.

Walking/Workout Mix

Hips Don't Lie, Shakira
Dancing With Myself, Billy Idol
I Like The Way, Bodyrockers
Personal Jesus, Depeche Mode
Sunrise, Duran Duran
Want You More, Duran Duran
The Bitch is Back, Elton John
Cars, Gary Newman
Yes U Can, Jewel
Come Dancing, Kinks
Black Horse & A Cherry Tree, KT Tunstall
Lady, Lenny Kravitz
American Woman, Lenny Kravitz
You're The One That I Want, Olivia Newton John
Jive Talkin', Bee Gees
1999, Prince
Glamorous Life, Sheila E.
La Vida Loca, Ricky Martin
Vertigo, U2
Play That Funky Music, Wild Cherry
Whisper to A Scream, Icicle Works
A Little Less Conversation, Elvis Presley
Everybody Dance Now, C&C Music Factory
Dirty Little Secret, All American Rejects
Move Along, All American Rejects
Hey Ya, Outkast
My Humps, Blackeyed Peas
Ray of Light, Madonna
Dance Dance, Fallout Boy

19 Comments:

  • At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Add some Abba to that list and I would be set.

    Good look on your walking - I am trying to convince myself and a co-worker that we need to start going to our gym at work - I need someone to hold me accountable :)

     
  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger Rachelle said…

    Hey, I got my iPod for Mother's Day this year, too! I'm a complete iTunes addict. Why don't you give the new album by Keane a try. I absolutely love it -- can't get enough! I frequently update my blog sidebar with recommendations, too, under "This Week's iPod Favorites." Don't know if you'll like the same kind of music I do, but I came of age with Depeche Mode and Billy Idol, so we can't be too far apart!

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! Our music tastes are SOOO very convergent! At our wedding Smoochy and I did a whole Copacabana routine. We used to request it at a club we frequented in our crazy days and clear the dance floor with it. I also LOVED many other of your more modern hits. Otkast, KT Tunstall, U2, and Depeche Mode are some of my favorites. Man, and have you ever heard Johnny Cash’s version of Personal Jesus or Hurt? Killer. Any who, here are some of my favorite blood pumping songs.

    Let’s get RETARDED - Black Eye Peas
    Switch - Will Smith
    Whiskey Girl - Toby Keith
    If You Ever Stop Lovin’ Me - Montgomery Gentry
    Gone - Montgomery Gentry
    Crazy - Gnarles Barkley
    It’s My Life - No Doubt
    Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravits
    Love Cats - The Cure
    Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
    One More Time - Daft Punk

    Some other great music…Julie Robert’s first album is AWESOME, filled with soulful, gripping, and sometimes fun songs.

    As for smart, funky, and lyrical rap please check out Tribe Called Quest. Midnight Marauders and Beats, Rhymes, and Life are my favorite albums.

    Love, Rebecca @ smoochy4life.blogspot.com

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger Bea said…

    I'm definitely not the one you want for up-to-date music recommendations - and I love Mrs. Chicky's line about arrested musical development. Since having kids I often find myself remembering the songs my mom used to sing to me like "Stop! In the Name of Love" or "Tie a Yellow Ribbon." So, yeah, regression too.

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger MrsFortune said…

    Wow, you just admitted that you have "Everybody Dance Now" on your playlist? I am in awe and total respect. :0)

    I actually do have a workout playlist and since my I-pod is right next to me charging, here goes (edited because it's way too long):

    Candy Shop - 50 cent
    Nicotine & Gravy - Beck
    Missionary Man - Eurythmics
    You're Pretty Good Lookin' - White Stripes
    Broken Boy Soldiers - Raconteurs
    Guilty - Barbra Streisand/Barry Gibb
    And the entire album of "appetite for destruction" by Guns N Roses.

    For new music I really recommend the Raconteurs (Jack White from the White Stripes), and I'm a big fan of Beck, all his stuff. Also try Gnarls Barkley! Fun stuff.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like everything else in life, to me, music is all about the words. So when I did work out like a banchee (which hasn't been in over 2 years) I did my best ellipical to JoDee Messina. I also love Dixie Chicks, political controversy and all. Carole King has some great empowering songs. I'm not a huge help, I'm a musical wimp.

     
  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said…

    ("Cars" by Gary Newman! I love it.)

    How about "Touch the Sky" by Kanye West? I second Mrs. Fortune's suggestion about The Raconteurs and Gnarls Barkley. I'm in the midst of a serious music-funk myself, so if you discover anything that really works for you, let me know.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    I knew there was a reason why I liked you! (besides the wit, intelligence and great writing that is)

    Loved this list. I just pulled out my ipod for my work out/walking list and would you believe that half are identical!

    Not sure I am brave enough to publically admit to the rest (which includes some AC/Dc, UB40 and Iren Cara)

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Check out my post from my long-ass bike ride a couple weeks ago. I noted each song that was playing as I rode each mile.

    I know you don't like rap, but Beastie Boys, circa Licensed to Ill, don't ever get old.

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Karyn said…

    BA, I'm feelin' you on this one. I did a similar groveling-for-music post some time ago and I will link it for you here:

    http://vexedinthecity.blogspot.com/2006/05/mad-music.html#comments

    Oh and here too.

    http://vexedinthecity.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_vexedinthecity_archive.html

    To the last entry I would add:
    Galvanized, Chemical Brothers
    My Love Is Alive, Gary Wright
    Train, Goldfrapp


    What I wound up with is a wildly eclectic list, which I like; Let us know what you end up with on yours!

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Teacher lady said…

    Your workout mix ROCKS! (No pun intended.) I just might have to borrow it. I think we might be the same age, because I'd have all the same exact music if I had an iPod. Recently, I discovered Rilo Kiley (from the Showtime series Weeds) and the song Arms Outstretched would make a perfect warm-up or cool down song. Also super great for walking warm-up? The instrumental song, Soul Bossa Nova from the Austin Powers soundtrack - VERY retro, you know? Also from Weeds, the song Satan Lend Me a Dollar by Hill of Beans. Please work out hard enough for both of us!

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    WOOHOO! You girls ROCK, literally. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to sit down this weekend and update my playlist.

    For those of you who admitted to liking my mix, or having a similar one...bless you. It's nice to not feel like the lone relic of the blogosphere. :?)

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My mom is a Die Hard Barry fan. Clay Aiken is my Barry Manilow. LOL. I am so jealous about the Ipod. I have to ask for one this Mother's Day - that way I, too will have no more excuses not to go running. Oh, and I'll need to ask for some running sneaks too. LOL.

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Foofa said…

    I saw someone mentioned Crazy by gnarls Barkley. I think you would really enjoy the entire album. My mother and I both love it. I would also check out The Sunlandic Twins by Of Montreal. I do have one thing about your rap comment though. There are tons of awesome intelligent artists that are not misogynistic MF Doom, and Madvillian are two artists who aren't gangster and whose beats rock. Danger Mouse (who is half of Gnarls Barkley) also put together something called the gray album, which is The Beatles white album mixed with Jay-z's black album. Its pretty good stuff. I talk about music daily on my blog and like many of the artists you mentioned. If you need some inspiration check that out. Best of workout luck.

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Foofa said…

    oh yeah, if you don't mind most of it being in Spanish Proxima Estacion Esperanza by Manu Chao is very upbeat and great

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said…

    I find that "Rump Shaker" gets me moving on my walks. Or "Baby Got Back". Basically anything that reminds of the spread of my rear end is a good motivator.

    I'd like to add to that some Black Eyed Peas. I don't like to listen to them casually but they're great for exercising.

     
  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger Karyn said…

    Further thought:

    The a la menthe by Nikkfurie
    Shake That Body by Ya Kid K
    Bodyrock by Moby
    Take A Chance On Me by Abba (eek)
    Basket Case by Green Day
    Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees (double eek)
    Don't Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston
    Turn The Beat Around by Gloria Estefan
    Starry Eyed Surprise by Paul Oakenfeld

    Holy MP3. I need to get moving.

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger Blog Antagonist said…

    Great ideas ladies. I found some new stuff that I like, and remembered some old faves. I have an updated list but I have to stop before I bankrupt us on iTunes. It's amazing how fast .99 can add up! I'll post my upadated list sometimes next week.

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger Kendra said…

    Just a slight correction re: Dean Martin. He *put on* the drunken, womanizing lech act, but in reality, he was sober (until his later years) and remained faithful to his 2nd wife, Jeannie for many many years (again, until his later years).
    His on-stage persona was very much different from his real-life persona. In real life, he was quiet - bit shy, even - and preferred to hang out with his family or play golf rather than hit the clubs and bars like his other contemporaries. Quite the opposite of the partying drunk that he portrayed. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home